Thursday, December 24, 2009

No Vacancy

Christmas is tomorrow, but look what I found today!

No really...

No Vacancy is a showcase lot on the quiet end of the QV Square featuring diverse works in monthly intervals that go on for a fortnight each. I happen to pass it by on the last day of it's showcase on the "24 Page Book". There was no one around but seeing as it was Christmas Eve, I guess that's a given. Even the internet shop I worked at was only receiving 30% it's normal customer intake.

"No Vacancy Press is excited to announce our foray into publishing with two books put together lovingly by Charlie Lance and Ghostpatrol.

The books will be launched at an exhibition of the original works, collaborative pieces and selected prints from within their pages on the 17th of December at No Vacancy Gallery.

For the inaugural No Vacancy Press series of books, which is intended to facilitate the crossover between original work and collectable books, a simple “24 Page Book” format has been chosen to showcase two artists with a uniquely intrinsic narrative quality to their work.

Books are limited edition with special editions available for purchase only at the exhibition."
excerpt from website no-vacancy.com.au

The 24 page hardcover burst bound make very delicate collectors items, with one going for $35 and 2 for $60. The contents were beautiful illustrations, one containing poems. I love self-defining books like these.

All of them were pencil illustrations coupled with light watercolour on thick sketch paper.

Too bad there was only one large canvas art. But then again even the walls became their canvas. The man attending to the space was a little hungover, so he was glad there weren't many people coming in. He was checking his facebook :P

The gallery wasn't extensive, but there were open copies of the book on the benches to look at.

Click me for full view!

What really drew me into the space was the art graffitied on the wall opposite. It was amazing.

And had my favourite bird, the owl!


Nice.


And why did I only pass it then? Well I was rummaging around in Laguna to find this Milk caramel a friend recommended to me to share with my cousins on Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I got a surprise this morning!

SAMAROST POSTCARDS!!!
I spent the whole day gushing about Amanita Design when I saw the demo of the game at ACMI last week. Looks like someone remembered =D



Merry Christmas from a mad monkey... I got him a chocolate fish as present back.

Merry Christmas!

-D

No comments: