Sunday, June 21, 2009

My first "cake"

As some of you might know, and some of you don't, I'm quite sure that one day an oven is going to blow up due to what I put inside it so I avoid ovens whenever I can. This recipe however, used the microwave.

I was looking for budget recipes for students when I came across this particular recipe for a Mug Cake. Yes, you read that right the first time. And if you're now thinking, Silly daphne, people do that all the time, then let me reassure you; apparently I'm not people. At most times.

Now that you've read all that nonsense from my inner response group, I shall provide you with a link to the easiest made "cake" I've come across.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake recipe – All recipes Australia New Zealand

Well that's the right way to do it anyway. I did replace some ingredients because it was a once off thing and I didn't want to buy a whole bottle of vanilla essence for just a few drops. So this was my ingredient list:

4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cheap chocolate milk flavouring
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons table spread, melted
1 green mug

Strictly speaking, the mugs not an ingredient but you get what I mean. Mix it all up nicely according to dry and dry then wet and pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. Be sure that your cake mix does not go over half the height of your mug though. I had a few tense/funny seconds where I could see the mixture rising over the mug (mine was 3/4 full) and almost dripping before hardening.


It tasted quite ok actually and I wont hesitate to make it again. The shape it took had a lot to live up to but it was nice and moist while it was warm.


Another thing is that this cake can get quite dense so beware of making too much. 1 mug was pretty much my dinner for the day.


Also the amount of sugar could give you diabetes if you eat too much. Happy thoughts, my friends, happy thoughts.

Like this little cake I bought for a present.


One last thing though. I recently bought a new pack of "womens essentials" and I was wondering... why in blue blazers is there trivia on the sticker backing!?


Cherio
-D-

4 comments:

mei-ling said...

oh god.. that looks so delicious!! the way it drips over the mug makes it look so moreish as well..

make.money.fast said...

Re 'women's essentials': So you have something to post about on Twitter.

Amy said...

I used to work for the company that did the advertising for women's products. they did an office bulk email one day to see if anyone could come up with 'facts' so i read them all with a pinch of salt these days. i think it's for when you're REALLY desperate for reading material?

ftjl said...

So you have something to read while you're sitting in the bathroom contemplating what idiot considers going through this entire process "intelligent design" :p

Alternatively because they couldn't be bothered to create a logo that they could stick on the back.