Friday, May 1, 2009

The Stingy Artist Friday March!

Stingy Artist: Search for the One paper. Yay.

Fast Facts:
I'm taking a course in university that deals with book making and paper handling and have managed to impress the lecturer with my idea for my final project (30/4). Basically I'm going to make 5x5cm cubes embossed with specs of flowers. My idea, in the hands of the lecturer, has doubled in both size and cost. Artist stuff in Melbourne is pretty cool and can get pretty pricey.

Things I was looking for:
Card (2mm) - 2x4 aud - A1
Card (3mm) - 1x6 aud - A1
Paper (>100gsm) - 2x6 aud - A2
Endpapers (~100gsm) - 2x1 aud - A4
Ribbon (~1m) - 1x2 aud - 8m
Denim (~1m) - 1x15 aud - 1m
Embossing tool - 1x20 aud - 1 piece

The only thing I was pretty sure of was that I was definitely gonna be broke after this assignment.
So on the 1st of May, (4 weeks to final project due date) fueled by a cheese and ham sandwich, I went art supplies hunting.

These are the places I visited: Deans Art, Lincraft, Clegs, Senior Arts Supplies, Riot Art and Craft, Magnani Papers, Melbourne Etching Supplies, Neil Wallace Print Making Supplies, and Zetta Florence. When I looked them up on the web prior to the march, I had thought that they were quite close (even after drawing a skecthy map to show myself the way).

Left at 12pm and arrived back at 5pm. It was actually a very good day for a walk. Not too hot, a little cloudy and mildly cool in the afternoon. At times like these I wonder why I never remember or think to bring my camera. I was also wondering why it took so long seeing as I didn't spend more than 15 minutes average in a shop. So I hopped on to Google map to retraced my route.

And then I checked the distance of the route.

HOLY FRIKKIN 9.8KM!!

Don't think I've walked that much since secondary school cross country run. Although this was more of a walk/stroll thing. Still. Never mind, I think I'm making up excuses.

But it was really nice walking through from Flinders to Collins and from upper Smith to Brunswick. The first walk had me going through little lanes teaming with people out to lunch. There were even a threesome on cello, violin and guitar keeping the atmosphere lively. The second walk was quite the opposite as it was more of a housing area. The place was so quite and quaint with its little old fashion houses and picket fences. Both feel like they came out of a movie. But then again I'm not a native ;D

I'm tired now. Just got back from dinner with my old housemate right over at Russel and Little Bourke. Add that distance up why doncha!

-D-

Ps. From my place to the diner is 2km on Google maps~

4 comments:

miz ling said...

wow that's impressive!!!!!! that's a lot of kms in one day!!!! did you get your supplies?

DaphneL said...

And the next day I walked around Albert Park :D Need to go collect supplies on another day haha

RaY said...

that much walking daph, cheese and ham won't cut it!
you need moooooooorrree.
hahaha

dy said...

woot, string triplet? hahaha...

have lots of fun before you come back!!